P (703) 637-9880
F (703) 637-9811
- LL.B., cum laude, University of Manchester, UK, and the Israeli Centre for Academic Studies (a joint degree program, Kiriyat Ono, Israel), 1998
- Certificate studies, with honors, the International and Comparative Law Institute, the Université Panthéon Sorbonne (Paris I), France, 2000
- LL.M. International and Latin American Law, University of Texas at Austin, School of Law, 2001
- Israel: 2000
- Virginia: 2006
American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), Washington D.C. Chapter
American Bar Association (ABA)
- Section of Intellectual Property Law
- Copyrights and New Technologies Committee
- Digital Games and New Media Committee
- IP Transactions & Licensing Committee
- Software and Cloud Computing Committee
- Trademarks and the Internet Committee
- Transactions Involving IP Rights Committee
- USPTO Operations Relating To Trademarks Committee
- Section of Labor and Employment Law
- Immigration Law Committee
- International Labor and Employment Law Committee
- Section of Science & Technology Law
- Cloud Computing Committee
- Digital Media Committee
- Mobile Communications Committee
- Open Source Software Committee
- Video Games Committee
Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
Virginia-Israel Advisory Board (VIAB)
Oren N. Dearson
Tysons Corner, VA
Oren N. Dearson is an experienced attorney and trusted legal advisor representing private companies, multinational corporations, and individuals for more than 15 years. Mr. Dearson’s practice centers on commercial and technology transactions as well as employment and business immigration law.
In the technology arena, Mr. Dearson advises on, structures and negotiates business transactions and information technology agreements for software developers (SaaS, SaaP) and other technology providers. He has proven expertise in drafting and negotiating technology and intellectual property (IP) licensing arrangements, distribution and wholesale agreements, and in representing clients before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). His client base includes businesses in the following industries: information technology, telecommunications, computer graphics and virtual media, maritime services, aquaculture technologies, sports, and humanitarian assistance.
Mr. Dearson has substantial experience in representing multinational corporations and individuals in matters of corporate relocations, immigration, and employment of global workforce. He frequently represents clients before the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) and the Department of State (DOS), both in regular and controversy petitions, and has considerable expertise in submissions of specific immigrant and non-immigrant visa petitions for the benefit of multinational managers, executives, skilled professionals, investors and traders (L-1, E-1, E-2, H-1B visa categories and employment-based petitions for permanent residence) as well as loss of nationality or renunciation of U.S. citizenship petitions.
Mr. Dearson is recognized for his diligent employment of careful planning and advocacy in every case. He is often called upon to handle complex immigration controversy matters, including appeals and reconsideration motions before the USCIS and the DOS. He routinely advises corporate executive teams in matters of employment and human resource law concerning employment of foreign nationals in the U.S. and employment of local workforce by foreign employers.
- Drafting negotiating, and closing transactions on behalf of information technology organizations, including SaaS/SaaP, White Label, MVNO/MVNEs, Cloud-based/Hosted services, teaming, and technology partnership agreements.
- Representing an executive of an U.S.-based telecommunications organization before the USCIS in connection with the filing of an immigrant petition in the context of a complex corporate reorganization and successor-in-interest issues.
- Representing a global maritime organization in an appeal before the (DOS) for the reinstatement of an enterprise treaty status (re-registration) in connection with a recurring transfer of intra-company executives and managers.
- Representing and petitioning on behalf of an expatriate family before the DOS in connection with a request for determination of a voluntary relinquishment of U.S. citizenship, and obtaining for the family a retroactive Certificate of Loss of Nationality (CLN).
- Representing an international organization before the USCIS and reversing a prior denial decision requesting an L-1A visa status for its senior executive and manager.
- Representing an international non-profit organization before the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and USCIS in connection with establishing an H-1 exception status, and instilling a new status within its global legal department.
- Advising on and negotiating employment agreements on behalf of a European maritime services corporation as a foreign employer doing business in the United States and employing local workforce.
- Negotiating and securing commercial real estate leases and licenses on behalf of tenants and licensees.