The Technology Law Practice at Dearson, Levi & Pantz is focused on rendering legal counsel and representation in the areas of computer software, computer services, e-commerce, and the transfer and protection of intellectual property. Tech companies – especially software, SaaS (software as a service), web-services, and cloud-hosted services companies – regularly call upon us to structure and negotiate relevant transactions, draft business forms and contracts, and guide their sales and support teams.
We support our clients in establishing core policies and practices, confidentiality terms, warranties, indemnities, and limitations of liability policies. Our attorneys are experienced at identifying liabilities and sensitive to the potential risks and rewards in the industry, and customize their legal counsel to meet the specific protections demanded by our client’s dynamic business models.
Understanding our clients’ technologies and businesses is a core principle of our representation. We serve as close advisors to executives and management teams. We empower clients to confidently negotiate, document and enforce transactions involving the development, licensing, implementation, management, and sale of software and technology. Our familiarity and understanding of the process involved advance client’s sale and licensing transactions, channel expansions, improve joint development operations, and enhances strategic relationships that are critical to clients’ growth and success.
We also assist in selecting and clearing trademarks, logos, and designs, as well as protecting such marks by usage and registration. We regularly prepare and prosecute trademark and service mark applications with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), and advise on matters of infringement, breaches, and violations of intellectually property rights.
Illustrative engagements include:
- Negotiation and Drafting of:
- Customer professional services agreements
- IT services – development, outsourcing and consulting agreements
- Licensing agreements – Software as a Service (SaaS), Service as a Platform (SaaP)
- Software Partnering and Channels agreements: Resellers, VAR, Distributors, Sales Representatives, System Integrators, OEM agreement, etc.
- Internet policies, terms of service and end-user agreements
- Internet, mobile and software distribution agreements
- Technology relationship agreements with developers, resellers, and partners
- Teaming, Strategic Alliances and joint venture agreements
- Wholesale services agreements, MVNO/MVNE/MVNA agreements
- Intellectual property protection agreements (Non-disclosure, Confidentiality, Non-competition)
- Privacy and Use of Personal Data restrictions
- Source Code Escrow Agreements
- Trademark and Copyright registrations and protection
We also team up with the firm’s other disciplines to provide complete solutions and representation to our clients.