P (410) 491-0204
F (410) 740-5603
- B.S. 1977, Wheeling Jesuit College
- J.D. 1980, West Virginia University College of Law
- West Virginia: 1980
- Pennsylvania: 1983
- Ohio: 1990
- Maryland: 1998
- U.S. Tax Court: 1982
CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT
- Series 79 and 63
“Opportunities and Challenges For Strategic and Financial Buyers”, Southwest M & A Conference, Scottsdale, Arizona, April 2012;
“Advice For CEO’s In The Current M & A Environment,” ACG National Capital Connection, San Diego, California, March 2011;
“2010 Tax Update,” CFMA Education Forum, Phoenix, AZ, November 2010;
Moving Ahead: M & A Trends in 2010,” Georgetown, Maryland, October 2010;
“Financial Reporting and Tax Implications Of M & A in Today’s Market,” Denver, CO, October 2009;
“Tax Efficiency Strategies,” The Federal Tax Institute, Phoenix, Arizona, October 2009;
“Looking For A Silver Lining: A Discussion Of Recent Initiatives Out of Washington And Their Effect On The M & A Market,” ACG Capital Connection, Scottsdale, Arizona, Spring 2009;
“Taxes In Troubled Times: Tax Planning Strategies and Opportunities In A Down Economy,” Relationships Magazine, Spring 2009;
“Who’s Going Steady: Trends In Mergers & Acquisitions,” Mountain States Construction Magazine, April 2010.
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation
- Maryland State Bar Association, Taxation Section
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Association For Corporate Growth
- Desert Botanical Garden – Board Member
- Exit Planning Exchange
Edward F. Kidner
Edward F. Kidner is an experienced tax, business and transactions attorney and seasoned legal advisor to businesses and business owners. Mr. Kidner’ s practice encompasses all facets of federal income tax law and related state income taxation, with a particular focus on optimal tax planning and structuring, business taxation, mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, shareholder and ownership matters, financing and capital raises including securities issuances and estate planning matters. Mr. Kidner has substantial expertise in conducting extensive pre-transaction due diligence, and in the successful structuring, restructuring and negotiation of complex business transactions. He has also successfully represented taxpayers in controversies before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), both at the audit level and before IRS Office of Appeals.
In the area of business transactions, Mr. Kidner has served as an advisor on numerous transactions ranging in size from $10 million to more than $2 billion. Mr. Kidner has also authored multiple tax opinions in the mergers and reorganization arena and has been successful in obtaining favorable Private Letter Rulings (PLRs). His clients span virtually every industry sector including manufacturing and distribution, food and beverage, healthcare, transportation, real estate, e-commerce, construction and marketing.
Mr. Kidner has over 30 years of experience as a partner and practice leader in two regional law firms, as tax counsel for a Fortune 100 company, and as General Counsel and CEO for a consolidated group of entities. Mr. Kidner has also held positions with three national accounting firms, one in which he served as the lead Partner of the Private Equity and Transaction Advisory Services Practice, all of which give him broad insights when advising clients.
Mr. Kidner is an accomplished speaker and has published articles in various industry publications. He is also a licensed Certified Public Accountant and holds his Series 79 and 63 securities licenses, which provides a unique and more encompassing analysis to the legal counsel he offers.
- Structuring the tax position regarding the sale of a national publishing and marketing group of companies developing a personal goodwill strategy that resulted in the saving of substantial federal and state taxes for the sellers.
- Leading the due diligence team and successfully structuring the reverse merger of a large privately held company into a public company, including strategic counsel on several matters surrounding the potential impact of various golden parachute and change of control arrangements.
- Securing a positive Private Letter Ruling from the Internal Revenue Service in regard to the double spin-off of selected subsidiaries in a consolidated group of companies to the parent company and then to its shareholders.
- Structured and provided a favorable tax opinion in the tax-free split-up of a company into two separate lines of business to two separate owners.
- Advised the owners of a multi-state business on the structuring and sale of their business to obtain the most favorable state and federal tax position.